The Best I ever made!


Hello lovely people it been a while. We've been a little busy with work, studying, moving and settling, you get my drift. Now we back in business with full force. A few things conspired while we were away and the most significant is what has brought us back here, cooking and we got ourselves a DSLR camera specifically the Canon EOS Rebel T3 meaning our  photos have gotten a makeover how cool is that!!! About the cooking there wa  a lot of it and this time I had a very very very good and awesome friend to be a part of it. She sends her greetings from Germany.


Am really glad to be back cause seriously it's difficult not doing what you love, my life was getting stale, my left eye was twitching because I hadn't made food in a while I was losing it....(ok my left eye wasn't twitching but that would have been cool, yeah I know I'm crazy). I just had to do something then low and behold Carolin (German friend) says she is coming to pay me a visit, wanted to see me cook and eat my food. Hmmmmm, give Popish (my nicky) an opportunity to show off and impress and you can trust him to do a great job :D (yes I know of this one too; I'm full of myself but then again who would you want me to be full of :P. As I would say when God made me he was just showing off???)

Now I prep for her arrival. She arrives, we good shopping and we really shopped.




Ok, ok enough with the blabbering. Total number of stuff I prepared was 7 over a 4 day period, I call it marathon cooking. I really don't know how to save the best for last and the question I ask myself is which really is the best.....? I let you be the judge of that. Now it's baking time.

Chocolate Chip Turtle Cookies

Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted (any nut will do, I used hazelnuts)
Melted caramel, for drizzling

Preparation

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter browns and starts to foam (careful you don't burn it). Remove from heat to cool. The brown butter gives the cookies an amazing aroma (smells like butter scotch toffee).

In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed (alternatively, you can use a hand whisk) , beat together melted browned butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until creamy - about 5 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.



 Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually beat in flour until just combined (those not using a mixer you can use your clean hand); stir in chocolate chips and pecans (you can use any nut or even omit it) until combined.



Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 175 degrees C. Coat cookie sheets with cooking spray or parchment paper.

Roll dough into balls (about 2 teaspoons per ball), place on cookie sheets.



Bake 8 minutes or until set and light golden. Cool preferably on wire racks. Drizzle with melted caramel.

The way I did my caramel was to brown some butter (not much) then I added about 1 1/2 tablespoon of the browned butter to the melted sugar on medium-high heat stirring frequently. When was almost ready I added about 2 tablespoons of whole milk (that was to keep the caramel from hardening too quickly. I learnt that from Carolin). I like to give myself unnecessary work by choosing to do stuff from scratch. You can save yourself the trouble and just go get it in a supermarket.


Abra-kadabra-alakazam..... Tadaaaaaa!!!!!! Cookies for all to enjoy. Give this a try and let us know how it turns out. Have fun. These warm cookies goes amazingly well with milk. Just dip it half way into the milk, bite, chew SLOOOOWLY savoring the moment before washing it down with more milk :D!

Feel free to comment below :)!

Source: Sugar Plum


Eat Rating: Awesome. After knowing how to do this you really won't need to buy cookies ever again.
Difficulty: Easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment